top of page

How you can advocate for your child

An advocate is someone who speaks up for others. An advocate might find information, go to meetings as a support person, or write letters for another person. Disabled individuals and their family members know their needs better than anyone else. If you feel that these needs are not being met or that you would like more information there are avenues to support you in doing this. 

Our tips for advocating effectively are:

  1. Stay calm - If you stay calm and polite, stick to facts and try to to focus on solutions,  ask questions and make suggestions.

  2. Prepare for meetings - take a list of questions and the points you would like to make with you. . Keep written records of meetings, emails and phone calls. Include the date and time, who you spoke with or met, what you discussed, and any action points and review dates. 

  3. Get support - speaking to other parents who’ve had similar experiences or joining a support group can help you find useful information and emotional support. Check out the Special Needs Parents Network closed page where you can find support and advice confidentially and in a safe space. 

If you feel that you would like to give feedback or information on HSE services please see below avenues to support you doing this. 

Your Service Your Say

You can make a comment, compliment or complaint about your experience of the health service using this online form

Freedom of Information 

You can request information or records about your child under the Freedom of Information Acts. See here for more information on how to do this.

bottom of page